Welcome to the 14th Sound & Music Computing Conference (SMC-17)!
The SMC-17 conference will be organized by audio and acoustics researchers of Aalto University at their main campus in Espoo, Finland, from Wednesday July 5th until Saturday July 8th, 2017. The organizing committee consists of Prof. Vesa Välimäki (general chair), Prof. Tapio Lokki (papers chair), Dr. Koray Tahiroglu (music chair), Dr. Jukka Pätynen (treasurer), and Mr. Fabián Esqueda (web manager). The SMC Summer School will be arranged before the conference from Saturday July 1st until Tuesday July 4th, also at Aalto University in Espoo, Finland. The theme of SMC-17 and the Summer School is “Wave in Time and Space”. The conference will also present a number of concerts and sonic art works.
Follow us on Twitter! Follow @SMC17_Aalto
Best Paper Awards
SMC-17 congratulates the winners of this year's Best Paper awards!
- Audio-Visual Source Association for String Ensembles through Multi-Modal Vibrato Analysis by Bochen Li, Chenliang Xu, Zhiyao Duan
- Real-Time Physical Model for Synthesis of Sword Sounds by Rod Selfridge, David Moffat, Joshua D. Reiss
- Virtual Analog Model of the Lockhart Wavefolder by Fabián Esqueda, Henri Pöntynen, Julian D. Parker, Stefan Bilbao
- July 5, 2017: The full conference proceedings (26.3 MB) and music program are now available in PDF format.
- July 5, 2017: Registration is open, SMC-17 has now started! Welcome!
- June 21, 2017: We have udpated SMC-17's program. Please visit the PROGRAM page for more information.
- June 5, 2017: Applied Sciences has announced a "Sound and Music Computing" special issue. We hope that many authors of SMC-17 will consider publishing something in this special issue. More information available here.
- May 18, 2017: The preliminary program for SMC-17 is now avaibale.
- April 13, 2017: Due to logistical reasons, the notification of acceptance for music performances and sound installations has been postponed to April 28, 2017. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- March 8, 2017: Our website has been updated! Detailed information on traveling to Finland and the SMC-17 summer school is now available. Our registration system is now open!
- March 6, 2017: The submission system is now closed. The review process will now begin. Thanks to everyone who submitted their works!
- February 13, 2017: The deadline for final submissions (music performances, sound installations and papers) has been extended to March 3, 2017. Please note the deadline for draft submissions is still February 17, 2017.
- February 13, 2017: We are proud to announce Genelec and Native Instruments will be sponsoring SMC-17!
- February 1, 2017: Information on SMC-17's keynote presentations can now be found in the "Program" section of this website.
- February 1, 2017: We experienced some technical difficulties with the conference's email server and associated address (email@example.com). If you have recently attempted to contact the organizing committee using this email address and didn't receive and answer, we kindly ask you to resend your message. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
- December 13, 2016: The Acoustical Society of Finland (Akustinen Seura ry) will sponsor SMC-17!
- October 26, 2016: Anssi Klapuri (CTO of Yousician) and Simon Waters (composer/performer at Queen's University Belfast) will also give keynote talks at SMC-17.
- October 25, 2016: We are pleased to announce legendary synthesizer designer Toshifumi Kunimoto (Yamaha) as one of the keynote speakers at SMC-17.
- October 24, 2016: Calls for music and papers are now available.
- October 19, 2016: The conference website is now live!